IP routing and Z/IP Context

This may not be the appropriate place for this query - but it’s the best fit that I could find.

I’ve been assuming that the Z/IP design is intended to be integrated into relevant rfc’s, but I’ve not checked this!

Is it intended that Z/IP based gateways would fit into the Homenet architecture for in-home routers? It seemed such an obvious fit as Homenet’s aimed at solving the issues of variable performance layer 2 subnets and multiple ISP connectivity.

But is Homenet part of the intended Z/IP context?

Hi Tim,

The ZipGateway is designed for IP gateway/controller applications. This may be a dedicated Z-Wave gateway connected to the LAN, or a ISP router connected to the LAN. The Z/IP does not offer any UI, but only provides the Z-Wave to IP bridging. So it is intended that the service provider will make an App that links to the ZipGateway.

I hope this helps to answer your question?

Hi Carsten

I’m not sure whether that answers it or not. I’d assumed that the g/w gave me a bunch of ZWave devices on IP addresses with an API that allowed software to query/update the devices, possibly on a different IP end point. IP is a layer 3 protocol, so it’s not really bridged, it’s routed.

The IP model assumes that all nodes on a different layer 2 network operate at with similar service quality characteristics (throughput, response times, etc) and so the IETF is moving towards using routeing as the mechanism for keeping such networks apart: you don’t want your IoT stuff and your video streaming on the same physical network, or you’ll either run-down your batteries of have very poor video.

However, setting up such routeing in IPv4 has been too complex for home use at scale, so an IETF working group (Homenet) is looking at how to combine the IP routing, naming, etc protocols so that domestic networks ‘just work’.In IPv6, I think that the relevant protocols include dhcpv6 (for PD to subnets), babel (for routeing information - eg to handle loops) and some dns stuff (eg allocation of tld).

For my situation simple integration into such a model is useful as it reduces engineering and operational costs and makes it much easier to create peripatetic code and to combine devices on different network types (eg so that events from my zwave sensors can influence the behaviour of bluetooth, zigbee and 5G connected actuators).

Does that make sense?

Hi Tim,

have a look at this document: http://zwavepublic.com/sites/default/files/SDS12089-4%20-%20ZIP%20Gateway%20Bootstrapping.pdf which describes the IP routing of the ZipGateway.

For the communication (API) with the ZipGateway you need to see this document: http://zwavepublic.com/sites/default/files/command_class_specs_2017A/SDS13784-4%20Z-Wave%20Network-Protocol%20Command%20Class%20Specification.pdf. All commands to the ZipGateway are encapsulated in a ZIP Cmd. This is described in chapter 4.9 of the document. All the other Command Classes described in the document may be send to the ZipGateway through ZIP encapsulated. so start with chapter 4.9.