Initializing and finding devices using SerialAPI Static Controller

Hey everyone,

New to Zwave in general, but I am trying to create a controller using the SerialAPI static controller library provided by Sigma’s dev kit. The documentation is a little overwhelming, so I was hoping someone could give me a nudge in the right direction.

I have a rough understanding of how data is being sent back and forth, so I am now trying to initialize the controller and set it in Listen (add) mode to connect a generic Zwave device to the controller.

So, I guess my questions are…What are the steps involved in initializing the controller? My current assumption is that the provided static controller library already does the HW initialization.

Next, How to actually get the device into listening mode so I can see some information when I put a generic zwave device into learning mode.

Obviously I am not expecting anyone to tell me the exact function calls, but the generic steps involved so I can better navigate these documents would be extremely helpful. Please let me know if I need to be more specific in what I am asking.

For any questions regarding the dev.kits, please contact Z-wave support directly through

Best regards,