Bridge Controller UZB

If I try to purchase the ACC-UZB3-E-BRG from a reseller you mentioned here on the forums, they want me to agree to a license agreement with a fee of $2000. Is this really a requirement to use the bridge?

Exhibit A to SIGMA DESIGNS, INC.
Z-WAVE DEVELOPMENT KIT LICENSE AGREEMENT
1.Fees: [this Section does NOT apply if the license to the DK is purchased from a Distributor]:
Product
Amount
Developer’s Kit
USD $2,000.00

Just buy one off of Digikey, the USB controller is $25.

If I try to buy one (ACC-UZB3-E-BRG) here in Germany from Digikey.de, the last step of the ordering processes is presenting me a “Z-Wave Development Kit License Agreement” where a fee of $2000, just like mbhoek.

I am not native english and this is a legal document, so it is not that easy for me to understand everything in there…
I don’t want to purchase a dev-kit license, I only want to play with the zipgateway…

If I don’t accept this license, the ZWave-Dongle is removed from my shopping cart…
I don’t want to end up paying $2000 just to play a litte with the zipgateway…

Did someone actually buy these things from digikey and accepted the license and can tell if something happened afterwards?

Hi AndreasH (and others),
It will not be possible to finalise any online orders from Digi-Key buying Z-Wave products without agreeing to the developers kit agreement. You will of cause not have to pay $2.000, but if you want to avoid signing any contract you must phone your order to Digi-Key. This will be possible for the UZBs only

Thanks, I will try it by phone then ,-)

Gutted to find out that the ACC-UZB3-E-BRG has sold out today on Digi-Key (apparently) with no ETA from the manufacturer.

Don’t suppose anyone else is aware of a supplier with stock (ideally in, or shipping to, the UK)?

EDIT: Just saw this thread which mentions that UZB2 is basically identical and should work with the zipgateway on RPi, going to give that a shot…

http://www.digikey.co.uk/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=232030649&uq=636343480770857777

I am also waiting for the ACC-UZB3-E-BRG to be available again. A few days ago there was one in stock, but before I could order it was sold out again…
UZB2 is discontinued, DigiKey still has several (>100) of them in stock, but there system (german website at digikey.de) reports at the same time that the device is no longer available at digikey…

It seems that both, the UZB2 and UZB3 are still based on the “old” 300 chipset and that the only difference is the filter and I guess a new firmware version.
I would like to get a feedback from you about the UZB2 (if you got one), I might then also order a UZB2 instead.

Hi @AndreasH, quick feedback on the UZB2 which arrived surprisingly quickly from DigiKey US!

Haven’t had chance to fully test but I can confirm that the zipgateway (running on my RPi 2) now starts correctly and no longer complains about lack of bridge support. So it’s looking good so far… now I just need to figure out why I get bumped back to the login page after I successfully authenticate to the built in Z-Wave portal…

Hi @ZFuzz, thanks for the information. Sounds good, Digikey here in Germany still only has the UZB2 in stock and no data for a re-stock of the UZB3, so I most likely will order a UZB2. But I need to find some time during office hours to call them, otherwise I have to “accept” the NDA which I can’t…

I’m not sure if you have the same option on your site but they simply displayed 2 x NDAs to me during check out… that said I’ve signed nothing and the order let me progress without doing so.

Hi @ZFuzz, I have to click something like “accept NDA”. They say that I don’t need to pay, but I don’t want to “accept” the NDA. I am working on an open source project and can’t accept anything like that. But another user reported that if you place the order via phone you can explain them that this is not a development kit and that you will not accept the NDA and they will still send it.

If you don’t accept the license/want to join the developer program just back button at the form. You don’t need to accept or decline.

When you go to checkout later you can just buy the device. It’s a pushy sales tactic, but nothing more.

You would think that Sigma would want to attempt to gain a wider market, but they seem to be tripping over themselves in the process.

@brianaker That does not work here with digikey.de :frowning_face:
I only have two choices:

• Accept the licence
  • Decline the licence and the items in the cart (UZB + ZIPR Gateway) will be removed from the order

There is no possibility to continue the process without checking one of these radio buttons. If I exit the process and click again on check out I will be at the very same page… I need to find the time during working hours to call them.

Hi @brianaker, all products manufactured by Sigma Designs for sale @ DigiKey and other distributors are development tools (hence the “hassel” to order these products). But these products were never meant to be sold to end consumers. Sigma Designs wants our customers like Aeon Labs, Zwave.me, Vision to manufacture and sell these kind of products to end consumers. If you browse different web shops like z-wave.com (still only for US products but EU will follow) or Amazon.com you will be able to find commercial available USBs but these will all be “Static Controller”, and as you guys know you need a “Bridge Controller” for the Z/IP Gateway. Therefore getting UZBs from DigiKey is hopefully just a short term temporary solution until Z-Wave USB Bridge Controllers become more available

Hi @AndreasH, both UZB2 and UZB3 are based on the latest 500-serie Z-Wave chip. Between UZB2 and UZB3 one of the RF components have been changed due to availability but to keep track of this the UZB number has been updated. There is absolutely no difference in functionality nor performance between the UZB2 and UZB3. The DigiKey system announce the UZB2 as “obsolete” because they cannot order these anymore. Why you cannot order the products although the web shows >100 on stock I cannot comment on, for this I recommend you contact DigiKey directly

Best regards,
/Laurits
Sigma Designs

If you don’t mean for the public to use z-wave bridges then why are you flashing their existence to 10’s of thousands of people daily on IFTTT?

Maybe you should rethink what you are advertising? Making Z-Wave a public specification was invite for a larger audience.

The current image of bridge controller will have its port shutdown on any modern switch (lookup what bpdu guard is if you are curious why this is happening). Working with the public has the advantage of having these sorts of problems be brought up at an earlier point in the development cycle.

You will need a much larger audience to hammer out the issues around creating a bridging device. The MDNS traffic will hammer a WIFI network to pieces. Some router manufactures just block multicast by default for this reason.

Hi, this may have been a bad move on my part, but the Digikey site states:

ACC-UZB-x-BRG
x=Frequency callout for North/South America (U), EMEA (E) and Hong Kong/Australia/New Zealand (H)

Therefore I purchased the ACC-UZB-H-BRG expecting it to function with my Australian components. This doesn’t appear to be the case as I am unable to join any of my existing components. Australia uses 921.42MHz. Do I have an option for a bridge controller? I’m rather keen to make my application work with Z/IP but, being in Australia, I need to test on this frequency.

Thanks!

Hi @all,
greetings form Germany.

I am new to the forum but have been reading without registering for a while :wink:

Meanwhile I have setup my RPi3 and fiddled with the software a bit.
What I need now is the Z-Wave USB Bridge Controller.
I read the previous posts and did not like the NDA stuff pretty much, additionally the shipping and handling rate seem a bit high (18 € - really ?).

Looking for alternatives, I searched the Z-Wave Alliance certified products catalog and clicked through all the certified USB sticks.
I found this one:

It would be available from their website (at least in Germany) and somewhere I read about a coupon code, so you would not have to pay shipping and handling.

I guess this stick could be used, right?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks D.

Ps: I guess I will have some more questions once I have this up and running :blush:

Hi Dieter,

The RaspberryPi image is only tested with the UZB Bridge Controller from Digikey. But it is not limited to the UZB either. So the TechniSat USB may work, but it is not guaranteed. I can see from the Z-Wave Alliance products site, that the TechniSat USB is not running the latest version of the Bridge Library. So you may be missing some encryption functions.

In any case the recommendation is to use the UZB from Digikey.

/Carsten

Hi Carsten,

thank you for your thoughts.
I am still undecided, I guess I have to reevaluate - and re-compare.

Do you know, if the UZB Bridge Controllers from Digikey are guaranteed to come with the latest version of the Bridge Library ?
What if the Bridge Library is updated, do I need to buy a new UZB with the latest Bridge Library ?
Is there an overview of the Bridge Library versions and their functionality ?
Uhhh, what is the latest version of the Bridge Library ?

Sorry for the many questions :flushed: from the newbie.

Thanks D.

Hi,

The UZB on Digikey are not guaranteed to come with the latest version of the Bridge Library. But the UZB v3 should have a fairly new firmware.

Currently it is not possible to update the UZB’s. But I think the version of the UZB v3 should be okay for quite some time.

You can find more information about the library versions and functionality on www.silabs.com. But I don’t have a specific link or document that I can point to.

Again, I would really just recommend getting the latest UZB from Digikey.

BR
Carsten