Reference architectures

I made reference to ‘low level architectures’ in a previous thread but what I’m really after is this…

Imagine you are a home installer of consumer electronics, alarm systems, IoT devices, etc. How would a complete novice to Z-Wave/ZIP/zipgateways understand what is required, how the devices interoperate and what are the best practises, etc?

What I think would be useful for the community are a few use-cases or reference architectures…

e.g.

Scenario 1: Small home deployment.
Requirements: Z-Wave controller, Z-Wave devices.
Recommendations: Install controller first, place controller in central location (bad examples, I know…)
Optional: Zipgateway for remote access

Scenario 2: Large hotel deployment:
Requirements: Z-Wave controller per guest room, separate HomeID’s per room, zipgateway for centralised control of all rooms, IP networking capable of delivering DTLS based ZIP packets to the in-room ZIP controllers
Network architecture: , etc.

Does anything like this exist?

Sadly, no. “Z-Wave Public” is not aimed at commercial releases/deployments. If this is what you’re interested in, the road starts with purchasing a Z-Wave Dev. Kit and signing an NDA. Commercial products need to be Z-Wave Certified (either by you, or by the product manufacturer, in case you’re just developing software) regardless of being based on zipgateway and the information that has been made publicly available.

Okay, that makes sense… but imagine I’m a home installer. I get paid lots of money to connect things in the home for my customers… home cinema, networks, etc

A customer wants a home automation solution. I think Z-Wave sounds like a good fit for them. How would I know what I need with regard to controllers, range, Z-Wave Plus & S2 devices, compatability, etc etc

Surely this ‘best practise’ kind of info can’t be hidden behind an NDA?

Getting paid == Commercial scenario

Sigma Designs looks after the Z-Wave hardware and protocol. The things you’re interested in, from an installer’s perspective are handled by the Z-Wave Alliance. The Z-Wave Alliance maintains a list of accredited Z-Wave installers: http://z-wavealliance.org/find-an-installer/ If you want to learn these best practices, join the Z-Wave Alliance as an Installer member - they even provide trainings for installers